Friday, May 21, 2010

ecotect









images from top to bottom
1-sketchup pro gbxml eggshell of 1st floor rendered in radiance


2-ecotect wire frame perspective of complex gbxml model from revit with data plane.


3-the 2nd floor from gbxml model out of revit in ecotect


4-the 1st floor revit gbxml in ecotect






these images were created in Ecotect from a gbxml file generated in Revit 2010. I had to modify the model slightly in the Ecotect 3d editor, i think it still has some glitches. I also had to change the default location to Eugene OR, and set the date to 12/21/2010(worst case scenario). I began an import to Radiance Desktop 2.0 but after 6hr of rendering the computer was still working, so i have included an early experiment with a SKP generated gbxml, all the surfaces were triangulated but the simpler model worked in radiance. I'm not sure if this was due to a model glitch or a setting. I adjusted the max Daylight Factor on the Ecotect lighting analyses, and tried using a denser grid than originally, i found that these two factors played a huge role in the legibility of the information. Increasing grid density increased rendering time proportionately. I'll be spending more time refining the gbxml model and materials before my studio final, and i would like to experiment with using ecotect in the initial schematic design in my next studio.

2 comments:

  1. Tristan, great to see that you were able to work through the examples and get your model from Revit into Ecotect, then process the analysis. It's a little hard to see how your zones are defined in the 2nd image. From what I can tell, you could use a simpler representation of the zones - shaped boxes with areas for glazing would be fine. The extra elements such as shaped columns in the room corners may be giving you noise. You can choose to export only the minimum for the GbXML format, then bring the shading and visually important geometry in with the DXF export.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos, Tristan.

    I may have to pick your brain to do this for my studio model.

    ReplyDelete